• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Xaxus

Xaxus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 July 2016 - 09:47 PM

So after recieving my FFL last year I finally broke down and started ordering parts for my first AR-15 build. So my initial thoughts were to buy a stripped lower and build one from scratch in 5.56 NATO. It was about this time that I started reading up on 300 BLK. The ballistics of the BLK cartridge suit my uses more and I've always been a fan of 30 caliber rounds coming from a family that hunted with 30-30s. Just something about the way the 30-30 drops a deer in its tracks has always held an appeal to me. I was taught by my father and grandfather to make my kills as humanely as possible. Having a few years of hand-loading in my experience and resources such as my father and grandfather a my disposal I decided to drink the "300 BLK kool-aid". With my new found FFL available and accounts with several wholesalers including Aero Precision I set about ordering pieces. Conveniently it was about Memorial Day and Aero was running a huge sale on their entire inventory. I was able to order a rifle almost pre-made in just 4 separate pieces cheaper than even a 5.56 NATO from scratch build would have cost me and ending up with a superior quality rifle.

First up was the lower receiver which was Aero Precision's enhanced lower cerakoted in Flat Dark Earth completely assembled with a Magpul STR stock and a MOE pistol grip both of the latter being standard black.

Next was the upper chambered in 300 BLK. My end goal is to build a suppressed SBR but because of money and time I just bought a 16" upper to hold me over til my tax stamp can be cleared by the ATF. The upper mentioned is Aero Precision's own enhanced upper with a 15" Magpul M-LOK rail system. To complete the upper I added a nickel boron coated BCG to the order and then the last piece needed was a charging handle(only part i cheaped out on). I plan to upgrade to a charging handle with larger fins at a later point possibly an Axis. Below is the assembled rifle. Still haven't picked out any optics for it but thats coming. Have just been running a cheap red dot on it for now.
Attached File  20160702_224142.jpg   53.7K   14 downloads

Edited by Xaxus, 02 July 2016 - 09:48 PM.

#2 nocoolname

nocoolname

Dumb farmer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,802 posts
  • LocationSomerset/Murray

Posted 05 July 2016 - 09:24 PM

I finished a 300 build back in the winter, but haven't shot it much, went the pistol route with a 10.5" barrel.  The 300blk is really a slightly slower 30-30 in semi-auto, and with handloading you can make some fun rounds.  I'm using 110gr Nosler Varmeggedons for super and 220gr Sierras for subsonics.

Since you have your FFL, I'll have to get into contact with you on a few things haha.
I like my cars like my women: lightweight, agile, low maintence, topless, and easy on the eyes.
Posted Image

#3 Xaxus

Xaxus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 02:21 PM

I shot some of the Nosler Varmeggedons when I first got the rifle put together. Noticed however that the brass was stretched an unusual amount on one side of the case mouth. Haven't shot anymore since because I reload and the brass was possibly unusable after the stretching. I will try to post some pics of those cases. Need to investigate why they are doing that and see if it's having a negative effect on the accuracy at all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users