#1 Kroric

Kroric

King of the North

• Administrators
  • 1,571 posts
  • LocationNorth of The Wall

Posted 16 September 2016 - 02:22 PM

Hey guys,

Wanted to post a build that I am just in the beginning stages of. It will be kind of slow as i am still collecting parts and looking for the time to do different mods. But here is the TL;DR version of the story I am about to tell.
My Evo IX is getting the heart of an RA.

So a month ago today I was heading into work. This was my second day at Haltech USA. Luckily I left a bit early that day. I was almost halfway to work when catastrophe struck. The car started spitting, backfiring, rattling and making a god awful sound. I let off the gas and the engine cut off. I coasted down the hill and luckily into my Aunt's driveway. The car wouldnt start. Great. My aunt let me borrow a truck to get to work. And over the course of the next week I tried diagnosing the car to see what had happened.

What I found cause me a lot of heartache, and to top it off it was something I felt should have been addressed last winter when i was rebuilding the head because of a bad valve seat. I noticed back then that for some reason my Evo 9 had Evo 8 pistons in it... Questionable? Totally. Did I do anything about it? No. That may have turned around and bit me in butt.

Posted Image

I searched everything up top that I could. Because I got the car to run but it rattled real bad above 2000rpm. I removed the valve cover and I believe some of the noise was from bad lifters. But I had a bad feeling so I kept searching. Decided to drain the oil.

Posted Image

Oh crap... Thats not good. Time to drop the oil pan.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Great bearing material everywhere... I now spend several hours in neglect, self loathing, deep dark depression, cries for help to my dad, grandpa, and jorge. Finally I pick myself up off the floor and break the news to my wife. She wasnt very happy needless to say.

So at this point I started kicking around ways to get this rebuilt as quickly as possible. Do I rip it apart and rebuild it all? Do I just buy a new engine? Then it dawned on me. I already had an engine setting in the back of my garage almost totally stripped down just waiting to be rebuilt.

Enter my old rusty 4g69 block from the tear down thread I made.

Posted Image

I flip this thing over, rip the cradle and main cap off. Proceed to disconnect all the rods from the crank and pull it out. Then dropped all the pistons out. I sent the empty rust block off to a machine shop to get blasted, cleaned, and honed. And here she is:

Posted Image

Posted Image

So where do I go from here? I spoke with Manley and they are going to work with me and get me a set of rods and pistons for the engine. Then its back to the machine shop to get the crank checked, and have the clearances measured for ACL bearings, then to have the bottom end assembled. After that i will be ordering a ton of factory parts and start transferring parts over from the Evo and onto the Ralliart block.

Im not going too crazy with this build just yet. For now my goal is to build the engine and get it back in the car. Meaning that the car will still be on 670cc injectors, a Walbro 255, and a stock IX turbo. In the long term I plan to install a Haltech ECU, get a more properly sized turbo, bigger injectors, and run the Haltech Flex Fuel system.

And now my very first modification to the car will finally make more sense. From the first day I owned this car I stated how I wanted to put a 4g69 in it. I was planning to pay it off first but fate had other plans. So the Evo Ralliart will be getting done.

Posted Image

2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX //// 2004 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart //// 2001 Mitsubishi Mirage LS //// 1990 Mazda Miata MX-5

#2 drummerdawg

drummerdawg

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 7,717 posts
  • LocationDirty South

Posted 17 September 2016 - 05:40 PM

Keep it up, hopefully wont be off the road too long.
2014 Sierra SLT DBL Cab / 2005 Acura RSX Type S / 2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder Turbo / 1993 Honda Civic DX Hatch

nocoolname @ Nov 17 2008, 06:25 PM

I'd suck a fart out of her ass and take it like a bong hit!

#3 Kroric

Kroric

King of the North

• Administrators
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 03:24 PM

I hope not.

Ive been shopping around trying to find the best prices on my parts. So far I am down to $1600 for everything I need.

That gets me:
Manley Rods and Pistons
ARP Main studs
GSC zero tick lifters
Gates Racing Belt and Tensioner
EuroExport Cam Alignment Tool
ACL bearings
RRE catch can
OEM gaskets and misc parts

2006 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX //// 2004 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart //// 2001 Mitsubishi Mirage LS //// 1990 Mazda Miata MX-5

#4 Kroric

Kroric

King of the North

• Administrators
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 08:41 AM

Small update.

Cleaned out the Evo yesterday to free it of all my junk. Going to try pulling some stuff from the interior to chase down a leak Ive noticed a few times. Thinking about pulling up part of the carpet to make sure there is no damage/rust. And I need to reinstall the factory shifter. Didnt realize this at the time, but apparently being locked out of gears is a common problem after switching to a short shifter. So I'll be going back to stock with the weighted shift knob.

Also painted the block yesterday!

Posted Image

Posted Image

I heavily considered going like a kawasaki green just for fun.

#5 Kroric

Kroric

King of the North

• Administrators
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 08:31 AM

Wife and I have been in the process of buying a house. I think we are about to wrap up with the underwriting part. So I should be ordering all the parts for this very soon. As in, hopefully this week. So hopefully I'll have some decent pictures to update with. In the mean time this one will have to do:

Posted Image

#6 drummerdawg

drummerdawg

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 7,717 posts
  • LocationDirty South

Posted 26 September 2016 - 10:38 PM

Damn you and your work. You actually getting one or just showing off the work toys?
2014 Sierra SLT DBL Cab / 2005 Acura RSX Type S / 2000 Toyota MR2 Spyder Turbo / 1993 Honda Civic DX Hatch

#7 Kroric

Kroric

King of the North

• Administrators
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 08:22 AM

LOL It was handed to me. Followed by, "For the Evo. When its done."  :D

#8 drummerdawg

drummerdawg

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 7,717 posts
  • LocationDirty South

Posted 27 September 2016 - 09:58 AM

You suck

#9 bluegrassz

bluegrassz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 172 posts
  • LocationLondon KY

Posted 28 September 2016 - 07:06 AM

Kroric, on 27 September 2016 - 08:22 AM, said:

LOL It was handed to me. Followed by, "For the Evo. When its done."  :D
Do they just do production where you work or do they do installs and programming?
I am thinking of going back to efi and have been looking at some of the products, but I am new to efi tuning.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
L98, Afr190, Edelbrock RPM airgap, Holley 750 Street HP, Comp XR282HR-12, Crane Gold 1.5 RR's, Hedman LT's, Dynomax Bullets, Th350 Probuilt kit, Jegs 3800 10" converter, Spohn LCARB'S, Richmond 3.73, Hoosier QTP's.

Pics at http://www.cardomain.com/ride/223847

#10 Kroric

Kroric

King of the North

• Administrators
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 08:37 AM

Nah... We mainly do Sales and Tech support for Haltech products. We dont do much production. We also have projects that come in and out of the shop. We have had several variations of the RZR come thru for testing, and adapter harness development. Our fabrication guy works on a few cars for customers. But his work isnt cheap. And since Ive had my interview we have had 3 cars come thru here. All making 1000+ HP. A procharged Foxbody, a twin turbo Foxbody, and now a Twin turbo ""Chevelle"".

If your interested I can send you a pricelist or get you some prices for stuff that we sell.

-------

I ordered all my parts yesterday. Had to call 4 different shops. Manley for the internals, Real Street for some aftermarket bits, STM for my factory stuff, and RRE for my cheapy catch can. So hopefully I will have some pics of all my goodies soon.

#11 bluegrassz

bluegrassz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 172 posts
  • LocationLondon KY

Posted 30 September 2016 - 07:08 AM

Kroric, on 28 September 2016 - 08:37 AM, said:

Nah... We mainly do Sales and Tech support for Haltech products. We dont do much production. We also have projects that come in and out of the shop. We have had several variations of the RZR come thru for testing, and adapter harness development. Our fabrication guy works on a few cars for customers. But his work isnt cheap. And since Ive had my interview we have had 3 cars come thru here. All making 1000+ HP. A procharged Foxbody, a twin turbo Foxbody, and now a Twin turbo ""Chevelle"".

If your interested I can send you a pricelist or get you some prices for stuff that we sell.

-------

Ok I wasnt sure how the company was set up.  I need to decide if I want to add efi to my SBC or go LSX.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
L98, Afr190, Edelbrock RPM airgap, Holley 750 Street HP, Comp XR282HR-12, Crane Gold 1.5 RR's, Hedman LT's, Dynomax Bullets, Th350 Probuilt kit, Jegs 3800 10" converter, Spohn LCARB'S, Richmond 3.73, Hoosier QTP's.

Pics at http://www.cardomain.com/ride/223847

#12 Kroric

Kroric

King of the North

• Administrators
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 30 September 2016 - 02:49 PM

We have a BBC harness and a few LS harnesses. We could get you a bit of a deal on one too if you wanted.

#13 Kroric

Kroric

King of the North

• Administrators
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 30 September 2016 - 02:50 PM

Most of my goodies came in today!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#14 drummerdawg

drummerdawg

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 7,717 posts
  • LocationDirty South

Posted 01 October 2016 - 10:40 PM

Looking great.

#15 Kroric

Kroric

King of the North

• Administrators
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 03 October 2016 - 08:28 AM

Got a bit of work done this weekend tearing into thing with a friend of mine. Going to pull the manifold and turbo off in the next day or two. Still debating on whether I should pull the whole motor or go ahead and get the head off to the machine shop and worry about dropping the block out later...

Posted Image

Anyway with the parts in, I'll be loading up the 4g69 this week to take it to a shop. I want to make sure the bottom end is done right so I'll be trying to find someone to assemble that for me.

#16 Kroric

Kroric

King of the North

• Administrators
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 05 October 2016 - 10:16 AM

Playing with some ideas to install the IQ3 in the Evo. Need to find some pin outs so I can make something to keep the ACD and turn signal LEDs.

Posted Image

#17 Kroric

Kroric

King of the North

• Administrators
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 03:04 PM

Quick update: Hopefully I'll have some pictures again soon. I just picked up the assembled block. It looks gorgeous with the Manley internals in place. However in the cleaning process they lost some of the paint so I'll have to redo the black. The cylinder head is off at the shop getting cleaned, inspected, and having new zero-lift tickers... I mean zero-tick lifters put in place. I'll get some new pictures whenever I get the block painted again.

#18 Kroric

Kroric

King of the North

• Administrators
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 09 November 2016 - 10:23 AM

So instead of watching the polls like everyone else I decided to go do some work on the motor. It wasnt much cause I didnt get home till late last night but Im getting more and more excited everytime I work on it. Hopefully I can make some good progress this weekend since the wife will be at work.

Posted Image

#19 Kroric

Kroric

King of the North

• Administrators
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 18 November 2016 - 03:58 PM

Been working on the Evo here and there when I get time.

Decided to clean out the interior so I took the seats out and cleaned them real well. Going to vacuum the carpet and stuff while the cab is hollow. Plus this will help make all the wiring under the dash more accessible when I go to reworking everything for the Haltech swag install. Took the center console out and removed the short shifter and assembly. Swapped it out for the stock shifter and weighted greddy knob. Kept the brass shifter base bushings in place though. Ditching the pointless brace in this pic as well.

Posted Image

I have a pile of parts growing that I need to take off to be cleaned, and painted. Here is the current state of the car.

Posted Image

Im hoping to have some free time coming up and get the old block out of the car. Im hoping I can accomplish that without dropping the transmission.

#20 Kroric

Kroric

King of the North

• Administrators
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 28 November 2016 - 09:22 AM

My brother and I stopped by the garage to work on the Evo for a bit. We finished disconnecting the wiring harness since I am going to drop the tranny now. Disconnected the shifter cables. Then dropped the exhaust out from under the car. I was surprised to see absoutely zero rust on the HKS exhaust! My pile of stuff to take down to my grandpa's shop and get cleaned and detailed is growing larger every time I visit the car. LOL

Got to work this morning and had a little gift dropped on my desk. I'll be buying 4 of these from a co-worker. 1600cc bosch injectors!

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users